Hello From Washington Parish

Tell us a little about yourself when you join the forum.

Hello From Washington Parish

Postby New2pigs » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:29 am

I'm a mom to a boy, who going on 9 yr old, who will also be a 1st time 4H(er) starting this school year. We placed an ad out for some pigs in our state market bullentin and got a phone call from Ruby and Garnet (3/4 red wattle and 1/4 hampshire gilts) old owner. We talked for several months and on the last Tuesday in June our family took a trip to purchase them. It was a 12 +/- hr round trip for us but worth the time and money.

Ruby and Garnet are settling in and they will make 8 wks old on Wednesday.

Our son has started to brush them and boy oh boy Ruby is the HOG in this bunch for EVERYTHING.

Our son will be showing Ruby in this October Parish Fair, since they would both be going in the same class he can only show one.

Looking ahead our son wants to breed them and have babies. I'm looking into purchasing a boar or trying to find a place that sells the red wattle semen. I wished I could find someone closer, so we could rent the boar, but that doesn't seem possible right now. Does any one know of a place that sells the red wattle semen?

Looking to learn and grow with our son's 4H project.
New2pigs

Re: Hello From Washington Parish

Postby earlyriser62 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:49 pm

As far as we are aware, no one is collecting RW semen at this time.

Most folks carry a boar or share a boar with another farm.

You can try contacting RW Breeders from the RWP member list. Talk to them about the possibilities.

Welcome to RW's!

Dot
RWHA Sec/Treas.
earlyriser62

Re: Hello From Washington Parish

Postby New2pigs » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:40 am

Thanks for the update.

They are still young and we are looking to breed (finger crossed) sometime in Feb, provided that Ruby makes it to 300#'s and 3 heat cycles by then.

Got time to shop...LOL...
New2pigs

Return to New Member Introduction