Developing white spots

Comments and questions about red wattle health issues.

Developing white spots

Postby barbara01 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:52 am

Help! One of my registered RW gilts has very suddenly developed white spots all over her hide. She is beginning to look like a backwards Dalmation. She and all her littermates were born solid red and all the all but one other gilt are now in the freezer. The other gilt has no white anywhere. What could be causing this? Anybody else had this happen? Is it genetic? She has been a very healthy hog and is expecting her first litter soon. These hogs are outside on pasture with shelter. We haven't had any illness in our small herd. I don't plan on keeping any of her offspring as breeders and all will be used for meat. I just want to know what this is and if it will hurt anything or indicates disease of some sort.Thanks for any info you have. Kirsten Pollock
barbara01

Re: Developing white spots

Postby Schieffelbein » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:36 pm

I have never heard of something like that...is it possible that she has either a fungal thing going on or maybe scars? Have you talked to a vet?
Schieffelbein

Postby barbara01 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:52 am

My vet said she doesn't have a clue but the gilt looks healthy and skin is in good condition. Apparently this can also happen in dark colored horses and she says studies have not been able to come up with any reason why although they do not think it is not genetic. Hmmm. Since I first posted the issue more small spots have developed. As a precaution I am choosing not to register her offspring and will sell them as feeder pigs only. I casturate the boar piglets myself. Please, if anyone has any info on this I would really like to hear from you!!! Thanks! KP
barbara01

Postby Braeden » Thu May 16, 2013 10:32 am

I haven't heard about this before,Well you should take it easily consult with a dermatologist he can actually tell you what is happening with your skin or body.
The proper medication is necessary that will surely help you.
Braeden

Postby barbara01 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:02 am

Spots update! When this sow shedded out this spring most of the white spots disappeared! Hooray! Vet said it must have been due to a skin condition we missed at some point. There are still a few small white spots left but they are smaller than before. The sow is healthy and a great mom. As a precaution we are only using her pigs for meat.
barbara01

Return to Red Wattle Diseases and Health