organic worming

Comments and questions about red wattle health issues.

organic worming

Postby tshaw2 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:02 pm

I am new to the project and forum,and am wondering what organic worming regimens there are? I use D-earth now but am not certain if it is enough? Anyone?
Thanks,
Tom
tshaw2

Re: organic worming

Postby K bottorff » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:41 pm

We've heard that pumpkin seeds and/or walnuts are natural wormers. We have lots on our place so we're giving it a try. They love both and sound like they're eating rocks when they crack the walnuts.
K bottorff

Postby miracolifarm » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:10 am

Wormwort grows wild right by our wooded parcels, and it's a huge part of our worming regimen.

When I was talking with a prospective processor the other day, he shared with me than one of his old timer customers never processes his hogs until after the fall pumpkin season. Cleans them out beautifully every time. And if you ever have occasion to feed whole pumpkins to chickens, watch what they eat first: it's the pumpkin seeds. Then the strings, then the rind. The worming power is in those seeds; if you can get a good supply of raw pumpkin seeds year round, you can add that to your ration when you need to. Rotational grazing is also good for them, too, so the parasite load doesn't get to be too much.
miracolifarm

Postby redwattles » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:15 pm

Old folks saying and some may be true. If there's never been hogs on the place, you probably don't have to ever worry unless you introduce parasites yourselves by bringing in infected stock.
When you process you can also have the processor check. Ours does it automatically and the USDA does it random. Pumpkin seeds are good and walnuts. These are seasonal though and it takes alot. For us, I like the old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
redwattles

Postby cgiles » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:03 pm

Diemeterus earth and tomatoes
cgiles

Return to Red Wattle Diseases and Health