Suggested AI Protocol for the RWHA

Comments and questions about breeding and improving red wattles.

Re: Suggested AI Protocol for the RWHA

Postby TSchieffelbein » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:22 am

Alison from the ALBC has sent me an email about a genetic "safety deposit bank" that would store samples of the semen collected from each boar that the RWHA grades for the AI program. I don't want to "mandate" the collectors to participate so what does anyone think of the RWHA giving a stipend for the collection and donation of semen to this group? The group stores the semen from as many boars and the embryos from sows as possible as insurance against any catastrophic event that would either eliminate or greatly reduce the numbers of Red Wattle hogs. I called the company and they have informed me that they would like to get two collections that they can dilute and store as straws. IBS and Jim Myers have both said that this isn't a bad idea and are willing to participate. Jim and I talked and think that if we buy one collection at $25 and the collector donates one collection, takes the stipend and the tax deduction people would contribute voluntarily as long as the bank pays for the shipping. Does anyone have any thoughts about this?
TSchieffelbein

Postby miracolifarm » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:14 pm

TSchieffelbein wrote:This is not a bad suggestion and I will bring it up but most of the time the company that does the AI either owns or leases the boars and the registration of the piglets follows the sow but we could ask for either membership or a one time fee to process the boar application. What would a fair fee for processing the paperwork be? Would you guys rather that the company be a member or pay a one time fee? Right now SVF is a member because they own the sows that will farrow the piglets they are using for the study and the sows came to them already bred.

Hmmmmm...not sure I like the idea of an AI "company" to collect and provide. What's the quality of life for a boar that is owned by a company and used for AI? Is he on pasture or woods? Is he getting fresh air and sunshine? Is he also being bred to sows, or only AI? My line of thinking is that if it's too business-like or antiseptic, then it may affect the boar on some level that we can't anticipate. Would such a life alter his good temperament?

Individual farmers collecting for AI would make more sense to me. Then again, I'm new, don't have a clue what "SVF" is, and may be totally off the mark with my concerns.

Jennifer
miracolifarm

Postby miracolifarm » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:35 pm

I have a couple of questions, as I read through the proposal:

1. What about temperament evaluations for AI boars (or any boar, or any pig for that matter)? Temperament is one of the hallmarks of our breed, but to not have a provision for some sort of temperament evaluation doesn't make sense to me. AI boars will have their pigs scattered far and wide, and have much more potential to influence the breed, for better or for worse, so I don't think that it's too very unreasonable to at least ask the question.

Perhaps it might be a thought to have an annual AI Boar application process (held at the annual meeting?) so that others can see him in person and attest to his temperament. This could also happen at regional meetings. If that isn't possible, then there is always the possibility of making a video of the boar in various normal situations.

2. I read the whole thread, but still can't wrap my brain around why an AI provider wouldn't have to be a member. IF I'm understanding correctly - and I give every possibility that I am misunderstanding - can you register a pig from unregistered parents (outside of the Recovery Program)? Or don't both boar and dam have to be registered for their piglets to be registered? I guess I'm just not understanding the idea of a registry if an AI Boar - with more potential for far-reaching influence in the breed - isn't registered. (Because only members can register, yes?)

Again, rank newbie here, so *feel free* to take me with a grain of salt. : )

Jennifer
miracolifarm

Postby Jenifer Kraus » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:38 am

The Red Wattle guide does state that Red Wattles should be and they are gentle, calm , quiet, easy to handle . I have never had a Red Wattle that was mean nor that I could not get in with. If I did have a bad tempered animal, I personally would not want to keep any offspring out of that animal either. That was one of the things that drew me to this breed was their easy going nature.
Jenifer Kraus

Postby Jenifer Kraus » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:40 am

As far as an AI Boar. If the boar is in the AI program and has met his quota on AI offspring he can be sold or go back in to breeding natural. :D
Jenifer Kraus

Postby TSchieffelbein » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:10 am

I ended up talking to the lab where the DNA would be going. They were very excited about the prospect of the boars DNA coming there to be locked into their genetic bank. They thought that they would only need two semen samples per boar. The company said that they will pay for the shipping and they would split the sample into straws. I talked to her about ways to promote this but not creating an undue burden for the collector. The suggestions were to charge a cost per boar for the process of evaluating and giving our stamp of approval , advertising and keeping the information on our site forever. This would be either paid by the collector with no sample donated or have one sample paid for by the RWHA for a collection (if the collector donates one as a tax deduction) cost not to exceed $25.
Any ideas of how much that the RWHA should charge for this? What do you think of this whole proposal? This is getting ready to go into the rules for AI soon so any comments would be appreciated.
TSchieffelbein

Previous

Return to Red Wattle Breeding and Genetics